Through grant funding provided by the Office of Violence Against Women, the SD Division of Criminal Investigation and the SD Network Against Family Violence and Sexual Assault are working together to offer statewide assistance for attorneys that prosecute cases involving domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking. The prosecutor can provide assistance as follows:
- The prosecutors will provide technical assistance and legal research to SD prosecutors, including Tribal prosecutors on issues of domestic and sexual violence, and keep a log of such assistance;
- The Prosecutors will travel as needed to meet with prosecutors in rural South Dakota, as well as in Indian country;
- The Prosecutors will participate with in-state specialized training sessions and will work with other grant partners to stay informed of national and state domestic and sexual violence resources;
- The Prosecutors will not prosecute the specific cases in court but can assist with the gathering of resources and evidences within the parameters of providing technical assistance for the prosecuting attorneys; and,
- Other training and technical assistance needs as it relates to domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
Prosecuting these cases can be very challenging especially with limited resources.
Here are a few of the things we can do for you?
- Find Affordable Experts
- Be a sounding board for tough issues
- Help you prepare voir dire, opening, direct examination, cross examination and closing
- Suggest ideas for dealing with reluctant victims
- Many, many more things as well!
The following prosecutors are available to provide technical assistance:
Michael Moore: firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-731-0041
For further information, feel free to contact Bryan Gortmaker, Director of the SD Division of Criminal Investigation at 605-773-3331 or email@example.com. The Network Director can be reached at 605-731-0041 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also provide this information via e-mail.
Links to Additional Documents and Information:
1. Office Policies for Sexual Assault
2. Office Policies for Domestic Abuse
3. Office Policies for Stalking
4. Prosecutor Tips – Top 10 Things to Know for Sexual Assault Prosecutions
5. Prosecutor Tips – Top 10 Things to Know for Stalking Prosecutions
6. Prosecutor Checklist
7. Protection Order Flyer – English
8. Protection Order Flyer – Spanish